HEALTH IS WEALTH
A lot of diabetic patients are inquiring their medical doctors as to what usually is recommended as a healthy diet for diabetics. Most specialists or internists highly recommend the diabetic formula studied by the American Diabetic Association (ADA).
Here are the ADAs recommendations for individuals with specific concerns:
A. To prevent diabetes:
· Decrease calorie intake of dietary fat
· Increase dietary fibers: (14 grams per 1000kcal)
· Eat more plants claimed to benefit diabetics like bitter gourd (ampalaya), garlic, onion, and aloe vera
· Control your sugar (glucose) intake
B. To manage diabetics:
· Consult your Metabolic Specialists regularly
· Have a regular blood sugar monitoring (FBS), etc.
· Strictly control your blood glucose through proper diet
· Couple with regular exercise
· Injection of insulin may be necessary if blood glucose exceeds above the normal level
When left uncontrolled, diabetes mellitus may lead to blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, stroke, poor blood circulation of the legs that may cause gangrene, and ultimately, death.
Take the anti-diabetic pills regularly as prescribed. Balanced nutrition in the form of vitamins and minerals is also essential to every diabetic diet. Include in the diet carbohydrates found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, oats, nuts, legumes, and low-fat milk. Consume a variety of fiber-containing foods. Fiber improves insulin sensitivity and ability to secrete insulin.
The benefit of a lowfat vegetable diet include improved glycemic control, decreased cardiovascular risk factors in diabetics, and reduced body weight.
Though clinical studies have been conducted on ampalaya, it is still too early to recommend it as a standard therapy for diabetics, says Dr. Juan Maria Ibarra, chief of the Endocrinology Section at the University of the East, Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, Manila.
For business solutions, contact our partner Ako Philippines – they are offering website services, creative graphics and branding solutions, it & automation and business consulting.