Terror grips Negros Oriental after 6 PNP personnel died in ambush

Killing Spree in Negros Oriental

NEGROS ORIENTAL – Terror grips Negros Oriental following the spate of killings prompting Gov. Roel Degamo to direct PNP provincial commander PSSupt. Edwin Portento to submit an investigation report on Negros Oriental killings that transpired the past weeks in the province specifically  in Guihulngan City, Jimalalud, Dauin, Sibulan, Bais city and in Dumaguete City lately.

guihulngan ambush of 6 policemenA series of extrajudicial killings of civilians suspected of crimes including the illegal drug trade following the ambush killing of six young policemen including the chief of police in Guihulngan last month.  President Duterte even flew over to Guihulngan to visit the wake of the slain policemen, giving  cash aid to the victims’ families even as the President directed the PNP to get the suspects at all cost.

Yet Gov. Degamo in the spirit of the Rule of Law,  told the PNP that he wants a stop to the Negros Oriental killings. He said what happened in Guihulngan City has already caused damage to the economy of the northern which is like a ghost town after 6pm. Criminal suspects are to be accorded their human rights . They may be maimed, disarmed but not necessarily killed.

In his message during the awarding of the winners of the best Tanods, Lupon and Barangay Peace and Order Councils in the province, Degamo said without  the restoration of peace in the streets, there could be no development.

The governor had just accepted into his confidence the new police Police Director PSSupt. Portento together with the governor, challenge the PNP to address these unsolved Negros Oriental killings while condemning the series of shooting incidents in the province over the two weekends of September.

Vendetta?

There appears to be a vendetta of sorts wherein Negros Oriental killings almost on a daily basis, over the weekend of September 8, following the death and ambush of six young policemen in Guihulngan City.

shooting incident at piapi beach dumaguete near star ice
Photo by Lee Ann (FB)

Shot dead on September 8 on or about 2:30 o’clock in the afternoon in Dumaguete City is a certain Adam Gantalao Corciega, 38 years old, resident of C. Vidal Street, South Poblacion, Jimalalud, Negros Oriental, who sustained gunshot wounds in different parts of his body and in the head which resulted to his instantaneous death.

Dumaguete City deputy chief of police Police Senior Inspector Van Joel Tingson disclosed that victim was on board a black Suzuki Raider motorcycle from North to South direction when shot from behind with the use of a caliber .45 pistol.

Recovered from crime scene were 7 fired shells for caliber .45 pistol and the victims personal belongings.

Further investigations also revealed that when the victim was already down, the suspects took the victim’s sling bag believed to contain something like money or contraband the police could not ascertain.

It was not immediately available whether the victim is in the watchlist of drug personalities in Jimalalud, while it is not discounting the possibility of a robbery holdup.

Few weeks ago, another policeman, this time in Jimalalud, escaped death when an unidentified  gunman missed a fatal shot to the heart of the victim. The police officer was shot from behind while on his way home from an overnight duty at the house of the mayor. Said policeman had earlier received death threats due to his active involvement in the anti-drugs campaign of the municipality.

Tingson, however, said the manner he was killed would mean a possible relation in the Corciega murder who was also shot from behind.

Meanwhile, the Sibulan police is also facing a blank wall as the motive of the shooting to death of  a certain Luciano Yac, 59 years old, resident of Guihulngan City and the wounding of his nephew Rodrigo Yac Rabong who were waylaid by three motorcycle riding in tandem suspects at the Ajong bridge in Sibulan at noon on Thursday, September 7, 2017.

Luciano Yac was discharged from the provincial hospital late Wednesday afternoon of September 6, 2017, after recovering from a gunshot wound he sustained in a failed attempt on his life while in Guihulngan last September 1, 2017.

There appears to be a vendetta of sorts wherein a spate of killing almost on a daily basis over the weekend of September 8 following the death and ambush of six young policemen in Guihulngan City.

Shot dead on September 8 on or about 2:30 o’clock in the afternoon in Dumaguete City is a certain Adam Gantalao Corciega, 38 years old, resident of C. Vidal Street, South Poblacion, Jimalalud, Negros Oriental, who sustained gunshot wounds in different parts of his body and in the head which resulted to his instantaneous death.

Dumaguete City deputy chief of police Police Senior Inspector Van Joel Tingson disclosed that victim was on board a black Suzuki Raider motorcycle from North to South direction when shot from behind with the use of a caliber .45 pistol.

Recovered from crime scene were 7 fired shells for caliber .45 pistol and the victims personal belongings.

Further investigations also revealed that when the victim was already down, the suspects took the victim’s sling bag believed to contain something like money or contraband the police could not ascertain.

It was not immediately available whether the victim is in the watchlist of drug personalities in Jimalalud, while it is not discounting the possibility of a robbery holdup.

Few weeks ago, another policeman, this time in Jimalalud, escaped death when an unidentified  gunman missed a fatal shot to the heart of the victim. The police officer was shot from behind while on his way home from an overnight duty at the house of the mayor. Said policeman had earlier received death threats due to his active involvement in the anti-drugs campaign of the municipality.

Tingson, however, said the manner he was killed would mean a possible relation in the Corciega murder who was also shot from behind.

luciano yac killed in balugo, sibulan
Photo by Ron Lee (FB)

Meanwhile, the Sibulan police is also facing a blank wall as the motive of the shooting to death of  a certain Luciano Yac, 59 years old, resident of Guihulngan City and the wounding of his nephew Rodrigo Yac Rabong who were waylaid by three motorcycle riding in tandem suspects at the Ajong bridge in Sibulan at noon on Thursday, September 7, 2017.

Luciano Yac was discharged from the provincial hospital late Wednesday afternoon of September 6, 2017, after recovering from a gunshot wound he sustained in a failed attempt on his life while in Guihulngan last September 1, 2017.