HEALTH IS WEALTH
Health authorities here and abroad claim that every year, diabetes claims more than 77,000 lives through heart attack and stroke when not managed earlier well.
• The disease causes 27,000 kidney failures annually.
• About 12,000 to 24,000 new cases of blindness result from diabetes yearly.
• The chronic disease increases a person’s risk of developing glaucoma by 40 percent and cataract by 60 percent.
• Foot ulcers happen to one in every six diabetics.
• Every 30 seconds a leg is lost or amputated due to diabetes.
• About 50 percent of men who suffer from diabetes will experience erectile dysfunction.
• About 60 to 70 percent of diabetes has some form of neuropathy or nerve damage.